Mixed Media

Mixed Media

Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Wrinkle in my Plan!

I have encountered a wrinkle, literally. I ended up with a doozy of a wrinkle right in the face of my Norwegian maiden after coloring in the face with Neocolor II crayons and a water pen. It was the perfect storm of not enough dry time, to light of paper, and a bit to much water blending. Is's fixable, but is going to take a few days of delicate working. Since I'm not one to sit still and work on only one thing at a time I decided to draw a design to use with the Derwent Inktense pencils.
My sweet husband asked me why I never draw anything "American". This gave me a good chuckle. What did he want? Stars, stripes, flags, fireworks and eagles? Why Not? Since the Derwent Inktense pencils are both bright and subdued at the same time, I felt they would be perfect for some kind of "Americana" piece, but I wanted to keep with an Art Nouveau style. This is what I came up with. Art Nouveau meets Americana.
Of course my husband absolutely loved the design paying it the his highest complement by saying " I would hang that in my office." I think that was also a hint that he was laying claim to this piece.
Here it is colored in with the Inktense pencils and water pens. For the rest of the face and detail work I will most likely use Neocolor II crayons and Prismacolor pencils. I am not thrilled with the hair, but with some more working I think it will come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment